Wednesday 20 June 2012

Hungry! or...2 great breakfasts

Good Morning!

So this morning started out unusually sunny and that typically sparks my reluctance to go into the office. We so rarely have good weather this year that if there is the odd sunny warmish day, I work from home if at all possible. I love to be able to take a break from work and toodle out in the back yard, and soak up a bit of sun.

This morning I was really looking forward to my overnight oats and had added a new ingredient (to me) to the oats the night before. Mashed Banana! And man was it good!

Overnight Oats

1/2 c gluten free oats (I use pure oats from alara)
1 tsp chia seeds
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 small mashed banana
1/2 tsp vanilla
coconut milk to cover (I use Kara dairy free)

I soaked the above ingredients overnight, and was surprised when I didn't need to add more liquid the next morning. Must have been the awesome banana!

This morning I topped the oats with 1 heaped tsp of cashew butter, 1 large spoonful of strawberry chia jam and an assortment of berries and man was it lush! Loved every spoonful!

Chia jam

1 cup chopped strawberries
1 T chia seeds
1 T water
2 drops vanilla stevia (or to taste) my strawberries needed a bit of sweetening

Mash the strawberries up until pulpy (or use a hand/stick blender for smoother result) and then stir in the remaining ingredients. Put in the fridge for an hour for the seeds to swell up, or leave overnight.

Lovely stuff and it made a great addition to the oats.

I must have had like 15 of my 5 a day here surely!?

Ok so I get back from walking to the post office to mail my Foodie Penpal her package in Greece and I am ravenous. I try an apple and a glass of water, no dice! Must have gotten more out of my run yesterday than I thought! So as I was dying to try out my new gadget.......I quickly unwrapped and cleaned it ready for action!

I read Stuft Mama's blog religiously. I neither have nor want children, but there is something else that resonates with me about her blog, maybe the fact that she's wacky like me, or that she's nearly as disorganized as me. Anyway, there has been a breakfast sandwich of hers that I have being meaning to try, which of course meant that I needed to buy a sandwich maker like she uses on hers. Ok yes, that Stuft Mama has a lot to answer for, and if my hubby knew I had bought another gadget he would have had some words! :-)

I loosely followed the recipe on the link above even though I hadn't actually read that recipe before and it was oddly really nice.
GF Sweet Protein Breakfast Sandwich

1/2 cup of egg whites (I use two chicks liquid egg whites)
sprinkle of cinnamon
2 drops of butter flavoring
2 drops vanilla stevia
2 slices gluten free bread
Strawberry sugar-free jam (local Tiptree jam all the way, no sweetners added)

I don't have Stuft Mama's cool egg gizmo, so I just cooked mine in a pan, and put the cooked egg white mix on one slice of bread, then added the jam to the other and put in the sandwich thingy. I was so excited to see the finished article that I nearly forgot to take a photo!


Wow! It was every bit as good as it looks. Um, ok, it tasted great, no matter what the photo says. I should have grilled it a bit longer, but I was hungry and impatient! Oh and busy, incredibly busy, don't forget that.

It was so tasty I immediately wanted another. I quickly stifled that impulse, made a cup of tea and went back to work. I don't want to be at the PC still at 8 tonight finishing my work.

I am going to try a butternut squash and sweet potato salad later, so chucked them in the oven with a bit of coconut oil to slowly bake. More on that later!

Have a good one!
Steph

2 comments:

  1. Your overnight oats look and sound delicious!! I keep reading about people adding some kind of nut butter to their oats and it always sounds so yummy. It's like you've got a peanut butter and jelly bowl! I don't eat oats much anymore, but I may try a bowl or two just so I can add some nut butter and homemade chia jam. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were lush! I had them again this morning and just changed up the jam. I love PB&J, just wish they sold grape jelly over here, it's something I always bring back with me. I love oats, but have had to resort to the GF variety.

    ReplyDelete