Friday 22 June 2012

Spinach and hummus

In true British weather fashion, the first day of summer arrives and immediately we need sweatshirts! ha.

I will not let that damper my enthusiasm in the garden. Here is my first spinach haul.

Ok, so I say haul, it was really 1 serving, but it was the first spinach I have ever grown and it was lovely to have fresh organic spinach that wasn't sitting in my fridge for days on end. Allegedly I have dino kale growing as well, but I haven't seen much evidence of it.

I have 4 different types of squash and millions of tomatoes and chillies planted as well. I was about to take a photo to post but the monsoon started up again.

On the exercise front, I am back in the saddle. 2 runs this week and one 18K MTB ride. I am aiming to run 3 times a week with cycling and zumba thrown in for good measure. Next week's going to be tricky with work and going to Barcelona for a long weekend, but I will persevere. No chance of working from home either. Ah well, no excuses, and I am sure I will walk miles and miles once we get to Barcelona, AND.....it's hot and sunny there, woo hoo!

I made some killer hummus this week as well, no photo as it was ugly as sin, but it was awesome.

Hummus/Houmous


400g can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 T olive oil
1 T rapeseed oil
3 T sunflower butter
1 T PB2
2-3 cloves of black garlic (I used 3)
pinch of sea salt (I used maldon, local and lovely)
pepper to taste

Blend all of this up in a food processor until desired consistency. You may need to use 2-3 T of water if you use PB2 to get a better consistency. I like mine chunky. I did use a handblender for this which was a really poor way to blend, and messy. I would advise a food processor over a blender if at all possible or if you like really chunky, mash with a potato masher and mix by hand.

It has a lovely savoury taste. I have had mine with grilled chicken, and on some rice cakes.

As I said in my last post, I will be changing hosting soon, and moving my blog to wordpress. I have just been on a wordpress course so I am armed and dangerous!

Have a good day!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment